Did you know that poor indoor air quality directly affects our health? It’s true! It can cause long-lasting cold-like symptoms that seem to always develop when we are in the polluted environment. It can be even worse for those that suffer from asthma or respiratory problems. So what can we do to improve indoor air quality in our homes and our business? Take a look!
- Change your air filters: The filters in your air conditioning and heating systems are important for maintaining healthy air quality in your home or business. The filters work by “catching” pollutants that would otherwise enter your building and the air you breathe. When they become dirty and clogged, the filters cannot do they job they are supposed to. Plus, regularly changing your filters will extend the life of your heating and air conditioning equipment.
- Keep it clean: Dust, dirt and other debris can quickly accumulate in a home or business if you someone is not regularly cleaning. We like to take a top-down approach. Start high with dusting and sweeping down walls. Vacuum last to make sure you get up all of the fly away dust from earlier cleaning.
- Keep it dry: If you have areas in the home or business that easily floods, or becomes damp, be aware of mold and mildew. Even if you are not allergic to mold/mildew, it can cause serious health problems. If you have had flooding, have someone come out and check for mold. If you notice certain areas developing a damp feeling, invest in some dehumidifiers to help keep those rooms dry.
- Change your flooring: If you know you are affected by poor indoor air quality and haven’t been able to get it under control, consider switching from carpet to a hard surface flooring. Carpets hold a lot of pollutants, and if you have pets, it can be even worse. If a change in flooring is not an option, be sure to vacuum and clean your carpets on a regular basis.
- Wash it: Don’t forget to regularly launder any bedding, drapery or other cloth items that could be causing problems—especially during allergy season.
- Air purifiers: There are a lot of different air purifiers on the market, so be sure to do some research and read customer reviews to find ones that will work best for your home or business. Some indoor plants work great for purifying the air too!
For more information about Pilgrim Mat Services, our mat rental program, or for a free, no-obligation estimate—give us a call at 800-939-2523 or contact us online. We are standing by to help with all of your mat and restroom product needs!