A considerable amount of rain has fallen this spring and you are at risk if you aren’t using floor mats. Rain and pollen can create pools outside your business and be tracked inside, therefore increasing the risk for slip and fall injuries. Here are a few statistics from the National Floor Safety Institute regarding slip and fall accidents:
- Fall fatalities are nearly equally divided between men and women. However, more women will experience a slip-and-fall accident. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, falls accounted for 5% of the job-related fatalities for women compared to 11% for men.
- Falls account for over 8 million hospital emergency room visits, representing the leading cause of visits (21.3%). Slips and falls account for over 1 million visits, or 12% of total falls.
- Fractures are the most serious consequences of falls and occur in 5% of all people who fall.
- Slips and falls do not constitute a primary cause of fatal occupational injuries, but represent the primary cause of lost days from work.
- Slips and falls are the leading cause of workers’ compensation claims and are the leading cause of occupational injury for people aged 55 years and older.
- According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), floors and flooring materials contribute directly to more than 2 million fall injuries each year.
- Of all fractures from falls, hip fractures are the most serious and lead to the greatest health problems and number of deaths. The following statistics describe the slip-and-fall crisis affecting our nation’s elderly.1
- For more quick facts, check out NFSI’s website here.
At Pilgrim Mat Services we recommend strategically placing floor mats in key areas such as both sides of the entryway doors. This will provide a solution for customers, visitors and employees to wipe their feet on the way into your business to help reduce the risk of slips and falls. For more information regarding our mat rental program, mat recycling program and other products that we offer, please give us a call at (800) 939-2523.